Sunday, July 26, 2009

Housekeeping

In this post I'm going to try to solve a few issues people are having and hopefully help people navigate the blog a little better.
  • Subscribing to the blog. A number of people have asked about this - basically getting an email alert every time we make a new post. Unfortunately (and surprisingly), there is no easy way to do this. What I've done is set up a Google Group. Everyone that is in this group will get the email alert for each new post. If you are interested in this, there are two ways to join the group:
  1. Go to this link: http://groups.google.com/group/adam-and-stephs-blog and click "Join this group" over on the right hand side. You must have a Google account to join the group this way - not necessarily use Gmail but have a Google account. It's easy to sign up if you don't already have one.
  2. If you don't have a Google account and don't want to sign up for one, just send me an email or use the contact form at the bottom of the blog to let me know you want in.
  • Posting a comment on the blog. First, I think there is a little confusion about the difference between posting a comment and using the contact form at the bottom of the blog. The contact form simply sends us an email with the message you type. Nobody else can see it. To post a comment that anyone reading the blog can see, you must first click on the title of the post or the "# comments" link at the bottom of the post. You'll then find a "Post a Comment" box below the blog entry. Simply type in your message, then select "Name/URL" where it says "Comment as:". You can enter your name but don't have to enter anything for URL. That's it. Click "Post comment" and you are done. Let it be known I can delete comments if I so please.
  • Pictures on Picassa. It seems like a lot of people have been checking the pictures on Picassa. This is good. I am going to try to make it a little easier to find pictures you may be looking for using "tags." Basically I'll assign 1 or 2 tags to a photo - for instance, a photo from Yellowstone may be tagged "road trip" and "Yellowstone". That way, if you are looking only for pictures from the road trip, you can click on that tag (only after you're looking at a picture tagged "road trip" - not from the main picture screen). I thought Google was supposed to be easy - not so. I've been meaning to do this with the blog posts as well but keep forgetting.
  • Videos on Youtube. I haven't put any on there yet, but I will. As soon as I figure out how to get my computer to read the memory card I'll do it. Disclaimer: I may turn off the audio - my commentating is generally horrible and embarrassing.
Comments or suggestions? I'd be good to fine-tune this thing now and make sure everything is easy to use and runs smoothly, so any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Sorry for another long post.

4 comments:

  1. YEA! So glad radiator is fixed at least temporarily. Bryce is SO beautiful, envy your 3 mile hike. Love ya'll and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the info about making comments. So glad you are having fun. Stay safe. Love you both, Aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, just wondering who you were refering to when you said you would post some instructions to help the "old timers" to navigate it???
    And also wondering whose you thought might make a comment that you may have to delete???
    Glad you had a good birthday Stephanie, we missed being with you!
    Glad ya'll are having fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I have a comment (complaint). This blog (cartoon) stinks.

    ReplyDelete