Friday, September 11, 2009

Update from Queenstown: Jackets Win!

In case you haven't heard, our beloved Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets beat Clemson today. It took a good deal of searching, but I was able to find streaming audio of the game from radio station in Savannah. When planning this trip to New Zealand, I was kind of thinking it would be good to take a little break from college football and other US sports that occupied a lot of my time and often led to a lot of grief (hear me Braves?). Once season started, though, I don't think I'll be able to stay away. I've been researching how I can watch the games I want to see, and its not looking good. If we sign up for the cable provider here, we'll get ESPN Australia, which shows some US sports including about one college football game per week. I have a feeling that won't be quite enough, so right now I'm looking into having my parents set up a device called a Slingbox that sends their tv programming to me over the internet. They haven't heard this plan yet. Anyways...that's about enough of that.

Steph has begun her training for her wait staff work, and has 3 or 4 shifts over the next week. Barista training went well, though it looks like she'll mostly just be waitressing. I interviewed for a job at the same hotel this morning, where I got the same reply as everywhere else: nothing until November. Looks like Steph will be the bread winner for a couple months. I may have to look into the professional frisbee golf league as an extra source of income - I got my first hole in one ever the other day. I jumped up in the air and squealed like a little schoolgirl. Steph seemed less impressed, especially when I double-bogeyed the next two holes. Being unemployed and all, I should have plenty of time to perfect my game in the coming weeks.

Other than that, we've basically just been settling into our new place. The heat pump appears to be broken given that it only blows cold air and the coils have frozen over. It took all my mechanical engineering skills to come to that conclusion. Hopefully we can get that fixed soon, since right now we're back to freezing our butts off. I was hoping to get a fishing pole and license to give me something to do, but apparently any new license is only good for the upcoming season beginning October 1st. I'd have to pay $55 just for the rest of this month. I'm way too unemployed for that.

We've moved all our pictures into separate folders, so click the link over to the right to check that out. All the pictures are uploaded, including some of our new place.

I've just looked it up and there is not professional frisbee golf league in New Zealand. Darn.

NZ Quirks
#3 - the letter z is pronounced "zed"
#4 - all the wall outlets have on/off switches

the road to Glenorchy

view from Queenstown Gardens of the Remarkables

our lounge and deck

2 comments:

  1. hey go to atdhe.net they have every sport imaginable live for free.....great for the unemployed

    ReplyDelete