Saturday, November 21, 2009

Long Time No See

Sorry we have been so absent lately. Things got a little busy around here, then we haven't had internet for a few days... so Steph has finally demanded that I do a blog post, so here I am at the internet cafe. Anyways, a lot has happened in the last month-ish, so lets get right to it.

We've moved! Yeah, so the dream apartment wasn't such a dream after all. Rent was killing us and the location turned out to be pretty crummy. It's a really long story that isn't all that interesting, so basically an we got a 2 bedroom place that we share with an Irish couple named Simon and Allison. Simon is a riverboarding trainee with me, and they were looking to move from their apartment, so we decided to find a place together. We ended up finding a great place really close to town, still near the water, with a great big deck looking over the mountains and lake. It's really awesome, plus it has a full-size fridge, TWO dishwashers, and a washing machine and dryer (all of which we didn't have in our old place). The best part about it is that we'll be paying about $100 less per week in rent. Actually the best part is that Alison works at a chocolate and ice cream shop called Patagonia and is always bringing home treats. Sweet as! (kiwi term)

Movember All the guys with Serious Fun Riversurfing (company I'll be working for), as well as seemingly most males in New Zealand, are growing moustaches for the whole month of November (get it? Movember?) to raise awareness for men's health issues like prostate cancer, depression, and what not. I'm actually not all that sure what it's for, I just know that I now have a sweet moustache that is driving all the ladies crazy. Not really of course, it is actually miserable-looking and kind of embarassing. I suppose we'll post some pics when we can.

Steph's wild night It wasn't that wild, but we had a pretty interesting night a couple days ago. As Steph was walking home from work (yes, we're close enough for her to walk now), she saw a dead person. It's pretty terrible actually. Two guys were either play fighting or actual fighting (heard different rumors) and one of them fell and busted their head open and died right there on the street. When Steph came by later she saw the guy's legs sticking out from under a sheet as the police investigated. Creepy. And really sad. Apparently the other guy is in jail. Then, at exactly 5:33 am that morning, Steph and I both awoke to find the whole room rumbling. Our first earthquake! It only lasted a few seconds, but it counts.

Miscellaneous Other than that, it's kind of more of the same. I think we are both enjoying it more and more as it gets warmer and warmer. Still not hot, 70 degrees would be a blazing day, but warm enough to sit out on our new balcony. The sunsets across the lake can be truly breathtaking. I've just finished my rescue training course, and have a first aid course over the next couple days. I have my 50 trips completed, so after that they will do an assessment on my riverboarding skills to see if I'm fit to be a guide. Once I pass that, I'm in! Can't wait. Steph has been working mainly nights and enjoying it more. She seems to like meeting the guests from all over the world, especially the Americans because they normally leave her a tip. I haven't reminder her about Black Friday coming up, but we are planning a big Thanksgiving dinner with our roomies and another American couple. We'll have to eat our on our deck in the warm sun New Zealand-style. Enjoy the cold back home! See ya!

2 comments:

  1. Hello you wonderful New Zelanders! Glad to hear about the new place and new friends. Sounds like a good fit for you boht. I wil be thinking of Steph on Friday as Megan and I shop a little. My green beans are on the stove right now and Angela is making her famous sweet potato casserole. Thanksgiving is at Grandma's tomorrow. I know we will all be thinking of you. We are very thankful for you both. Lots of love, Aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all sound great to me!! More Pix!

    ReplyDelete